Farm Chores

Farm Chores
Farm Chores, my favorite needle punch

I have recipes in these seven Gooseberry Patch cookbooks

I have recipes in these seven Gooseberry Patch cookbooks
I have recipes in these seven "Gooseberry Patch" cookbooks

Friday, May 9, 2014

I need some professional opinions

I finally finished my quilt top, what a long project. I have a new appreciation for quilters. First cutting over 500 squares, then sewing into 9 patch squares, then the disappearing 9 patch squares 56 is the total that I made. I made a queen size quilt. I tried to place my squares so that
all the colors would be in different areas, but I see one area that is all blue, Oh, well,
I will just call it the coat of many colors with a huge patch of blue. he he With my small machine I don't think I could quilt a huge
 quilt. And I don't have a quilting frame to do it by hand.
 With all the work put into the quilt I don't think I will knot it either. I am going to have someone
machine quilt it for me. I need help choosing a fabric for the backing as well as what color to have
the binding, (the edge color).
  All suggestions will be considered, I am leaning towards the quilting to be some floral design,
and the backing to be a tan with maybe a small calico print. And the binding to be a dark Chocolate Brown, I had even thought that a black binding would be pretty.
 I am open to all suggestions, or would you just go for a cream color for the backing?
  Also I have been putting out some of my Americana decor and forgot about this awesome doll
that Trish Ladybug sent me last year. She used to have a blog but doesn't anymore.But we still
stay in touch. I love the doll and most of all I cherish our friendship.
Trish sent me a surprise package and one of the items was a a doll, I had her on a shelf in my spare bedroom and forgot to get her out. I brought her out today and placed her on the old barnwood
cabinet that my hubby bought me last week, isn't she adorable. Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.





I have always wanted a window box, would love to have them at all my windows, but I finally
got one, I can't wait until the flowers start to trail down the sides.Thought I 'd share a photo of it also.

7 comments:

Shirlee said...

I'm emailing you : )

Deb said...

Well Lord knows I'm no quilter but I like the sound of your picks; think I'd stay away from cream for the backing just in case of staining, etc. and I like chocolate brown for the binding rather than black. Very cute doll and love your window box!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Beautiful quilt top Lecia ~ I'm not a quilter either but I don't think I would use black ~ it might be to harsh for your beautiful quilt. But I'm sure what ever you do it will turn out Wonderful!!!
Adorable doll!!!
Oh I wish I could do planter boxes ~ Love it!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Unknown said...

Great quilt top! I think black, blue, cream or yellow backing would look good. I know I'm probably not helping much, but those are the colors I would audition with it. :)

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I've quilted for years, and I would suggest any color but cream or black. Like Deb said, cream would show any dirt. Black would definitely give it a pop of color, and quilters love that pop! But there isn't much black in your quilt. I would search your scraps and either make a binding of something that blends more with your quilt or else make a scrappy binding that would tie in the colors you've already used. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

frontporchprims said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt Lecia! I think a brown binding would be perfect. A floral quilting pattern would be pretty and would show up better if the backing had no print on it. Then you could flip it to tan with the pretty quilting over it if you got tired of all the patterns.

Margaret said...

A beautiful quilt for sure and agree a brown binding would be great. I love all your Americana. I'm a big fan of that myself! The doll your hubby got is adorable! Maggie

Jar with candle burning inside

Photobucket

Family

Family
Mom, dad and my three beautiful sisters

My Blog List

Blog Archive

About Me

It is hard to believe I have had my blog for 10 years. I am married to my sweetheart Ronnie for 40 years now. I have a son and daughter, a wonderful son in law and 4 wonderful grandchildren. I work two jobs. I am a full time school nurse at a wonderful country school and a part time hairdresser. I love all types of crafting. I love making primitive prairie bonnets, dolls, love wool applique, making wreaths and cross stitching.